Saturday, April 4, 2015

Create with Connie and Mary Blog Hop: An Experiment with Watercolor

Welcome to another Saturday Blog Hop!  This week the team is featuring one of the stamp sets they will be using for Card "Create"tions Celebrations 2015.

http://www.createwithconnieandmary.com/

You should be arriving from Melissa's fabulous blog Rubberfunatics, she has such amazing ideas to share!  If you are just starting here, be sure to hop all the way around so you don't miss a thing!  Now onto my cards for today!  Yes...I said cards, there are FOUR to share!


As you may know if you were here yesterday, I am doing a card set for Card "Create"tions with From the Garden.  I've been playing around with it a bit and today I am sharing what I call my Watercolor Experiment.

Watercolor is something I don't typically do, it's definitely out of my comfort zone.  But, every once in a while I feel the need to pull out my watercolor paper and give it a try.  With there being so many small stamps in From the Garden, I wanted to find a way to be different and make them stand out.   I tried chalkboard paper with white embossing and loved the way it popped on the cards.

Experiment One was a full size card with Marina Mist as the base.  Can you tell what I used to make the splotches on this card??  If you guessed Gorgeous Grunge you are right!  I tried (and failed) to just randomly place bits of color with my aqua painter and hated it!  So, try try again!  Stamping Marina Mist splotches was MUCH better!  I also added flowers and leaves with Rose Red and Pear Pizzaz.  Once all of the stamping was done, I added water with the aqua painter and let it run.  While the paper was drying, I embossed a sentiment with white embossing powder on Chalkboard paper.

I added in a couple of finishing touches and was quite pleased with with results!

OK....let's look at the next experiment, 3"x 3" cards.

As with the first card, this one has an embossed sentiment and a flower added.  But I did something a little bit different for the watercolor.  First step was to add a bit of blue to the paper with a spritzer that has Pool Party and rubbing alcohol.  Next, I grabbed Painted Petals and added flowers and leaves with Rose Red and Pear Pizzaz.  A little spritz of water to let the color run and I had a gorgeous background.

I've done red and blue, so now time for Hello Honey.  Same as before, a spritz of blue then the stamping and a spritz of water.  This sentiment was a little different, I changed it up with a bow and a different shape.  And by the way, did you know where I got these great shapes for the sentiments??  I used the garden picks but cut off the pick part!  That's where the flower and bow come in, they cover up the little area that isn't embossed!!

Last but not least, I switched it up completely and stamped with the flower and leaves in From the Garden then added water for a pretty background.  Then a "hello" die cut adds a whole different look and feel!

So, what do you think??  Was my watercolor experiment a success??

Now, it's time to visit Debbie Henderson's blog Debbie's Designs to see what cool card she's done for us today.
 http://debbiesdesignsblog.blogspot.com/2015/04/create-with-connie-mary-saturday-blog.html

Be sure to hop around and check out all the gorgeous cards from the Design Team!  I hope you'll join us for Card "Create"tions Celebrations 2015 we have so many great ideas to share!!  Today Connie has a FREE tutorial for you so be sure to stop by st see and and don't forget she has BLOG CANDY up for grabs too!

Happy Stamping!!


Print Friendly and PDF

Follow my blog with Bloglovin





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the card set. You make it sound quite simple, so I'll be giving it a try. Thanks and have a joyful Easter.
Seletta

Debbie Flattum said...

I too struggle with watercolor. Your cards turned out great. Thanks for sharing your tips and tricks.

Cindee Wilkinson said...

Great cards Nicole! Love the watercolor technique.

Deborah Smart said...

Your experiment with watercolour is a resounding success, Nicole!! I'm definitely going to try it using the Gorgeous Grunge (love that set!). Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Wow! For not being in your comfort zone on the water coloring technique you did a wonderful job!! I have not tried it yet, but reading how you did it makes me want to try it!!! What kind of paper did you use?- it looked like you embossed it- if you did what design was that? It had a roughened look about it and it was really nice also. Thanks for sharing!